THE ASEPTICSURE SYSTEM WORKS
Publication in the American Journal of Infection Control of a paper supporting the unprecedented microbial kill-rates of AsepticSure™ – an ozone vapor-based fumigant achieving ≥6 log₁₀ reductions for C. difficile, MRSA, VRE, E. coli and all other deadly bacterial pathogens tested – signals a promising new phase in the war against hospital and healthcare associated infections. In what is believed to be an important first, an entire ward at a public hospital remains 100% free from MRSA for 6 months after a major outbreak is quashed - thanks to the introduction of a new hospital room disinfection technology.
In the U.S., approximately the same number of people die from hospital acquired infections (HAIs) as from AIDS, breast cancer and auto accidents combined. Patients acquire HAIs while receiving care at hospitals for another condition. These infections, such as MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) and C. diff (Clostridium difficile), can devastate and kill patients. Current CDC statistics show that in the United States, 1 in every 25 patients will contract an HAI and of those, 1 in 9 will die. HAIs cost the healthcare industry upwards of $30 billion dollars annually.
In early June 2013, seven patient rooms on a 14-room ward at Quinte Health Care’s Belleville in Ontario, Canada were quarantined after being hit by a rapidly spreading strain of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). MRSA is one of the most common causes of serious staph infections acquired in hospitals, globally. Dr. Dick Zoutman, Chief of Staff for the hospital, was quoted as saying, "On average we have had one or two new MRSA cases per month on the ward. This is in keeping with averages being reported within the health care system nationally. In June, we noted a rapidly spreading MRSA problem on the ward that reached seven rooms over a short period of time. That is when we began using an AsepticSure® room disinfection system. It is the only system we know of that can eliminate 100% of infective pathogens with a single room treatment. We have learned that obtaining even a 99.9% bacterial kill is not enough, as the remaining 0.1% of bacteria immediately begin growing back causing the problem of infection to start all over again in a few short hours. What is more, AsepticSure is proven to kill bacterial spores that can lurk in hospital rooms for months." Dr. Zoutman is also a co-inventor of the AsepticSure system along with Dr. Michael E. Shannon.
"The results were immediate. The MRSA was immediately and entirely eliminated from the ward. The AsepticSure system was straightforward to use and quick, with complete room disinfection occurring in an hour. To prove to ourselves that the AsepticSure system was working, we performed cultures of 120 surfaces of the treated rooms before and after the AsepticSure system was used.
The results were amazing. Virtual complete elimination of all bacteria on the room surfaces after AsepticSure was used in the rooms.
However, the longer term effects were not fully appreciated until after a six-month follow up had been completed. Only then was it realized that not only had the rooms remained free of MRSA, no further cases of MRSA were noted on the ward during this period.
It is noteworthy that all support equipment associated with each contaminated room were also disinfected using AsepticSure - and this may have played an important role as well in virtually eliminating MRSA from the ward. These mobile pieces of patient care equipment are notoriously hard to clean by hand. AsepticSure made disinfecting them very easy. Given that hospital acquired infections are now considered to be the fourth leading cause of death in both the United States and Canada, this could be a game changer.
TEN YEARS AGO
Dr. Zoutman’s invention is expected to significantly reduce the incidence of nosocomial infections, a number which now exceeds 1.7 million in the US annually (CDC, 2007).
Based on recent CDC cost-estimates we would see hospitals saving $6 to $7 for each $1 invested in this technology through reduced costs associated with prolonged admissions, re-admissions, expanded use of antibiotics and expensive ICU care.
“Current CDC statistics show that in the United States, 1 in every 25 patients will contract an HAI and of those, 1 in 9 will die. HAIs cost the healthcare industry upwards of $30 billion dollars annually.”
HAI PROOF 8000 DIE EACH YEAR
The Public Health Agency of Canada estimates that each year more than 200,000 Canadians contract an infection while receiving health care and that more than 9,000 of them die every year.
The CDC in Atlanta says it costs hospitals about $269 to fight each infection. When you multiply 200,000 Canadian patients at an average cost of $269 the answer is about $54 million Canadian dollars every year.
The annual cost of FIGHTING INFECTIONS is alarming to me as I’m sure it would be to you and Mr. Trudeau, Ms Wynne, Ms Otley and their respective health-care budget
HOW EFFECTIVE IS IT?
The system has proven to be able to achieve a very high level of sustainable microbial kill to the sterilization standard of >6 log (99.9999%) and was the subject of a major peer review article published in the American Journal Of Infection Control in December, 2011. It was also the recipient of a prestigious innovation award from The World Health Organization’s ICPIC Conference in Geneva, in July, 2011.
Posted on February 25, 2015
It is of paramount importance to remember, that while there are other companies and technologies competing in our sector of business, only AsepticSure has demonstrated the ability to actually break the reinfection cycle in a healthcare setting. That is what sets us apart, as demonstrated at Belleville General Hospital in Ontario, Canada. The demonstration at Belleville in which a ward that had averaged “one to two new MRSA infections a month” and has now gone more than a year without a new infection following a single AsepticSure disinfection, is strong evidence that when you kill 100% of the infective pathogen in a healthcare setting, you have broken the reinfection cycle. A response demonstrating this level of efficacy and effectiveness was simply not available until AsepticSure. We have demonstrated at our Innovation Park, Queen’s University Laboratories, that you must obtain 100% Kill to be effective. Working with MRSA, a 5-log sample was decontaminated by 3-log (99.9% kill). Set aside and simply observed, the remaining 0.1% of bacteria began to regenerate in 5 hours. In 5 days it had grown back to full strength! Only AsepticSure has demonstrated the ability to eliminate that 0.1% in both laboratory and real world hospital settings throughout an entire room!